Week 4: Borne

Prior to being assigned this book for this class, I had never read anything that was science fiction before, so this book in the “new weird” style was totally a new experience for me. While I didn’t mind the book, I also didn’t enjoy it because it was too weird for me personally. I guess that means that the book achieved it was supposed to since that’s the goal of this genre. I can see however how people would enjoy this style of writing since it truly unlike anything else where everything that you’re reading is made up and new to you so there’s a lot of discovery and thinking involved as the reader.

A few of the most standout strange things this book had to offer was Mord, who was a giant flying bear who protected “the company”. Mord was also so large that his fur collected objects as he moved that people would climb onto him and take for survival in their post-apocalyptic world. Rachel, the main character, is a scavenger and I enjoyed seeing her mother like bond with Borne shown in the story which was very unexpected for me. Rachel found Borne in Mord’s fur and decided to keep him without knowing what exactly he was.

Borne was another very weird element in the story since he had the ability to grow rapidly and transform into anything. He also would eat people and gain their knowledge yet still is almost childlike.

One thing that I did find very interesting and strange while reading was the biotech drugs that would produce other people’s memories as a way for people to escape their own reality. I wish the author would’ve gone into further detail about these because the concept behind the memory beetles was interesting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Interview With a Vampire

Week 13: The Aquatic Uncle.

Week 12: Bloodchild